This is a traditional chili recipe made with ground beef, beans, and a simple homemade blend of chili seasonings. It is easy to make, fast to cook, and absolutely delicious. This chili is not super hot but very flavorful. It's a terrific recipe to make for a crowd. Put out a bottle of hot sauce for those who like to turn up the heat!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion -diced
1 pound 90% lean ground beef
2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper* -optional
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
1 (16 oz.) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1. Add the olive oil to a large soup pot and place it over medium-high heat for two minutes. Add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the ground beef to the pot. Break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the chili powder, cumin, sugar, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and optional cayenne. Stir until well combined.
4. Add the broth, diced tomatoes (with their juice), drained beans, and tomato sauce. Stir well.
5. Bring the liquid to a low boil. Then, reduce the heat (low to medium-low) to gently simmer the chili, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove the pot from the heat. Let the chili rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
In addition to the chili ingredients listed in this recipe for chili, you may also want to have these things as toppings.
shredded cheddar cheese
sliced green onions
diced avocado or guacamole
Reposted from The Wholesome Dish