Crispy Roasted Potatoes
These crispy roasted potatoes are gorgeous golden-brown on the outside and creamy on the inside. Best of all, they are easy to make at home. Add a little garlic and rosemary, they become downright addictive. While these potatoes are a dinnertime favorite, served alongside grilled steak or roast chicken they are just as popular at brunch. Oven-roasted potatoes are a comforting classic, and they’re easy to master with this is a fool-proof recipe.
1/2 teaspoon (4g) baking soda
4 pounds (about 2kg) russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters, sixths, or eighths, depending on size
5 tablespoons (75ml) refined coconut oil (or extra-virgin olive oil, duck fat, goose fat, or beef fat)
Small handful picked rosemary leaves, finely chopped
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
Freshly ground black pepper
Small handful fresh parsley leaves, minced
1) Put oven rack in the center position and preheat oven to 450° F/230° C (400° F/200° C if using a convection oven). Heat 2 quarts (2L) water in a large pot over high heat until boiling point. Add two tablespoons kosher salt (about 1 ounce; 25g), baking soda, and potatoes and stir. Return to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until a knife meets little resistance when inserted into a potato chunk, about 10 minutes after returning to a boil.
2) Next, mix the coconut oil (or other oil) with rosemary, garlic, and some black pepper in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Be sure to stir, cook, and shake the pan constantly until the garlic just begins to turn golden colored (usually about 3 minutes). Immediately strain oil through a fine measure strainer set in a large bowl. Set garlic and rosemary aside and reserve it separately.
3) When potatoes are cooked, drain carefully and let them rest in the pot for about 30 seconds to allow excess moisture to evaporate. Transfer to bowl with infused oil, season to taste a little more salt and pepper, and toss to coat making sure to shake the bowl roughly until we thick layer of mashed potato-like paste has built up.
4) Transfer the potatoes to a large rim baking sheet and separate them spreading them out evenly. Then place in the pre-heated oven and roast for 20 minutes. Next, use a thin flexible metal spatula to release any stuck potatoes, shake the pan, and turn potatoes. Continue roasting until potatoes are deep brown and crisp all over, turning and shaking them a few times during cooking for about 30 to 40 minutes longer.
5) The final step is to transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and add the garlic/rosemary mixture and minced parsley. Toss to coat and season with more salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
We hope you love these potatoes as much as we do. Enjoy!
Notes: When it comes to this recipe, russet potatoes will give a crisper crust with fluffier centers. Meanwhile, Yukon Gold will be slightly less crispy and have creamier centers, with a darker color and deeper flavor
This recipe is adapted from YOUTUBE: Serious Eats